Sunday, December 5, 2010

#39 Watch Some Movies I Haven't Seen Before

Despite being pretty smart and usually having a pretty firm grasp on the ever shifting reality of the universe as it unfolds around me - I hate watching new movies, because committing to watch a movie I've never seen before, whether it be in the theatre or in my living room, causes giant waves of anxiety to wash over me. Anyone who's ever watched a movie I haven't seen before with me knows that I spend the first 5 or 10 minutes doing some pretty serious worrying that I have absolutely no idea what's happening (WHO IS THAT????? WHAT ARE THEY DOING???? WHY??? WHERE ARE THEY??????) and maybe never will. I'm always afraid I'll miss some critical detail in the set up of a movie that will leave me completely unequipped to fully understand the development of a particular character or plot line. I think I just am a book lover. Being shown and not told... I don't know, my brain isn't always ready to do that.

This is a total bummer though, guys. Because we live in a world where people think you are CRAZY and SHELTERED if you have not seen every film considered to be of critical dramatic, comedic, romantic or horrific importance. "WHAT WHO HASN'T SEEN THAT," you all shout at me. Some of us just don't like movies. I'm not constantly up your bum about the fact that you've unfamiliar with the complete works of Hemingway or Fitzgerald or Salinger. That you haven't the foggiest idea who J. Alfred Prufrock is. No, and even though I think you're definitely missing out, I just think we live in a culture where a familiarity with films (and music) make up a fundamental part of our social currency, where as books don't really hold the same weight. (See Dad, this is why I can't cancel my Netflix).

So, I've been feeling like my social currency is lacking, due to all the film watching I haven't done. But that all ends here. Watch some movies I haven't seen before. On purpose. Set out to do so, purposefully. Well, check and check, because guys I totally have been doing this. Last week I watched two great movies. All by myself. Both were recommended by friends (which I absolutely appreciate and am open to hearing any and all movies you think it'd be a travesty if I missed), and were great.

The first was Stand By Me, a 1986 coming of age movie adaptation of Stephen King's novella The Body. This movie was so good and I'm only sorry I didn't see it earlier so I could have had an immense childhood crush on River Phoenix and Corey Feldmen instead of the weird, don't know how I feel about it crush I have on them now. Good movie.



The second movie was not just good, Badlands was epically great. Badlands was made in 1973 and features Martin Sheen and Sissy Spacek as Charles Starkweather and his 14 year old girlfriend, Caril Ann Fugate - the young couple who, in 1958, went on a road trip killing spree after Starkweather shot Fugate's father. The combination of the inherently interesting story and the beautiful, perfect, genius cinematography and acting makes this a movie I wanted to immediately watch again and read every piece of critique I could get my hands on. Totally recommend.



If you want to read more about this film, here is a brief piece of writing from a blog called the judgemental observer that gives a quick overview of just why this movie is so great.

Check. And a work in checking progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment