Friday, November 26, 2010

#36: Friday Mix Tape #3

In the afterburn of a pretty drawn out and kind of heart-wrenching break up, I have been kind of a mess. Kind of displaced. Kind of lazy. Kind of. I've just been kind of. This particular break up has brought with it a resurgence of feelings and memories related to a rather awful, heavy heartache I went through in high school that still makes me a little nauseous to think about. I can feel myself trying to cope the same way I did at 17, maybe because in my head I know the girl I was then lived through it. Whatever, I'm going to live, I know.

Also it's Thanksgiving (Happy Thanksgiving, ps). Despite being thoroughly stoked to be headed to Cape Cod instead of towards the Granite State for the first time in 5 years, I feel weird. I mean, I guess it's like quitting cigarettes right (I've been using this metaphor a lot lately, which is either incredibly lazy-brain or indicative). You consciously resist, but can't help subconsciously to yearn for. Want so badly the very thing you know will kill you.

Anyway, for your time, I present to you, from behind the rose tinted glases of catharsis: the songs I still like that got me through past heartaches as well as some more recent, nicotine-free, cigarette shaped substitutes.

01 Tigers Jaw - Plane vs Tank vs Submarine



02 Uncle Tupelo - Wait Up



03 Cap'n Jazz - Oh Messy Life



04 Defiance, Ohio - Dissimilarity Complex


"And it's dark when I get off.
It's been that way since four o'clock.
I love the hustle of the Jackson stop,
but it scares me how I can turn it off (or down to a murmur).

There's so many different worlds I could stumble upon.
But they flicker by as frames from the tracks I'm on.
That stretch out across the land like rays,
but do they take us where we really want to go?

I'm shaken. I'm tired.

I've heard so many of my friends say the same thing:
that they're searching for a change.
But this life's like cold water, you can't slip into it,
you can't slip into it again.

All I wanted was to dive so deep in something
I could feel the weight like water at the deep end of the pool.
But I've got all these questions like
am I selfish? Or,
is this myopic? Or,
am I overthinking it?
But overthinking is the thing that I've done best.

I'm shaken. I'm tired
."

05 Limbeck - Honk + Wave
I'm a little distressed / bummed the only youtube videos of this song are crappy, live cell phone videos (the single thing I find most annoying on the whole internet) and videos of some kid and their guitars butchering this track. Whatever, I can't play the guitar. Or sing. The least butchery cover I could find:


Or you can listen to a clip of the track here.

06 Mineral - Love My Way (Psychadelic Furs cover)



07 Japandroids - Young Hearts Spark Fire



08 ...And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Dead - Worlds Apart



09 Sunny Day Real Estate - Guitar and Video Games


better video (embedding disabled) hurrrrrr

10 Morrissey - Suedehead



As usual, get at me for the mp3s.

No comments:

Post a Comment